Friday, October 12, 2007

Ballymaloe Cookery Books, A Must for the Good Foodie

Over the years I have collected some cookbooks
from the Ballymaloe writers, several generations
of lively minded ladies who know how to entertain
and delight every palate.

I've given the book on Fish to a French friend.
It's one way of spreading good cheer in the World.

This post is in answer to a question on Caroline's
post on Bibliocook. She is one of the lucky students
who is taking a course in the cookery school in County Cork
as I write. She wondered when I had visited the restaurant,
so here is the story.

In 1980 we cycled round the South of Ireland
with a baby and all the necessary camping equipment
to stay dry and warm. The gentle landscape of East Cork
made travelling easy. Not too many hilly experiences and
lovely afternoon teas, if you knew where to look.
The numerous potteries, now World renowned names,
were pleasant stopping posts. They were usually set in
pretty gardens full of flowers, fruit and even colourful
vegetables. The climate seemed milder than the one I was
used to in Dublin.

I never got to Ballymaloe at that time but discovered Myrtle Allen's
wonderful book which has been entertaining me ever since.
It includes a recipe for ice cream that does not need to
be churned... very useful for busy mothers who can't afford
to spend hours in the kitchen.

Finally, middle-aged and able to drive in comfort,
we visited the Ballymaloe Restaurant a few years ago
and ate in the sunny conservatory resaturant.
The wood-fired pizza oven, imported specially from
Italy, I think, was a talking point and I remember the
delighted grin on the young chef's face when, not really
thinking about what I was saying I almost yelled "Absolutely Delicious"
when I went to give a positive report on the excellent meal we had just
enjoyed.

A leisurely walk in the "potager" followed and we have
warm memories of that day.

1 comment:

Caroline@Bibliocook said...

Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself! Did you get a chance to explore the grounds of the cookery school? A lot of the produce for the classes and for the hotel comes from the gardens around the school and it's a place really worth exploring.